The Pawhuska House Hotel was built in the 1880s. It was a grand structure as is evidenced by the fact that it still stands today. By 1911, the building was sold to Mr. C. C. Constantine, a Greek immigrant, who dreamed of turning it into the finest opera house in the Southwest. The Theater features a live stage and the capacity of 589 seats. Constantine’s dream was a success and in the 1919-1920’s, the theater hosted 6 opera stars from the New York Metropolitan Opera. Vaudeville, silent movies, boxing matches, and even an on-stage circus with a baby elephant and a dog and pony act were among the attractions featured at the Constantine.
As motion pictures became a primary form of entertainment, the theater kept up with the times until it closed in 1970. In 1987, a group of citizens formed a committee to save the historic Constantine. A long renovation restored it to its previous grandeur. It is now one of many buildings on the historical registry in Pawhuska.
Live theater has been a part of the historical Constantine Theater for many years. Community groups and film festivals are among some of the events held in the beautiful building. A showing of “August: Osage County” was appropriately shown there, and it was used during the filming to house extras. More recently in February of 2018, a pre-screening of “Mosaic Oklahoma”, an OETA special featuring Pawhuska, was shown. In 2017 the Osage Ballet performed “The Nutcracker” to a sold-out crowd. This was the ballet company’s first performance of this well know ballet and set the stage to make it an annual event. The Constantine is available to rent for events, and groups can book tours. Contact Garrett Hartness, President of the Constantine Arts Council, 918-287-2666.
It is rumored that the Constantine Theater has “never been quiet”. In fact, many say it is haunted. There have been reports of hearing a “scuffle” to an